Sunday, January 27, 2008

Keith Sawyer, "Improvisational Creativity: An Analysis of Jazz Performance"

I thought this piece was quite interesting! I am often annoyed by assignments that I feel have no relevance to my life and goals as a teacher/writer/academic-- but this piece about jazz improvisational performance was fresh, new and totally engaging! I wonder if other jam bands and groups of musicians that have played together for long periods of time also use a similar form of sub/conscious ideation, interaction and balance of structure and innovation when they play together to come up with new material? At any rate, I thought Sawyer's analysis of jazz performance was intriguing and educational. I should have read that before listening to the mix-tape Dr. Stacey made for us.... I feel like I know a lot more about what is meant by the very word "jazz" after reading this piece. And, more importantly, I can call my dad now and tell him I finally know why I should appreciate jazz music and will never complain or call it noise again.

1 comment:

David said...

Good call on the relation to jam bands. I think you're exactly right. Often jazzers talk about playing with different people as an important part of the music; because individual musicians have sometimes really marked differences in style, the combination really challenges each play.

But the level of skill you have to have to be able to play immediately with very different players. I've always found that a bit daunting. Which is why some jam bands, i.e. those influenced by Neil Young and other players who know the power of raw minimal playing, are more accessible. Virtuosity can be offputting.