Monday, February 4, 2008

Jarrett p.1-23

Michael Jarrett's (1999) Drifting on a Read: Jazz as a Model for Writing 

What an interesting project Michael Jarrett has set himself up here in this book. He is definitely pushing the boundaries of how we conceptualize writing. I was happy to read that Jarrett would "jump at the chance to see dancing about architecture" (2), because I would too. Especially if it is as illuminating as is writing about music. 

I wonder if musicians and non-musicians (what is that? i'm not sure, just stick with me here) read writing about music differently. Do writers read writing about writing differently than others who would not consider themselves writers? In a way it seems that the "non"s would have an easier time pulling insight from the writing about a practice with which they are not familiar. 

See, this is why I have been so frustrated by the bad rap that is given to poststructuralism (at least in this program). Jarrett says that "poststructuralism is fond of pointing out, blindness enables insight" (22). I agree. Not all encompassing, Truth insight, but unique and useful insight nonetheless.  I need to study this whole "postie" region.

Now, where was I? Jarrett's book is interesting and intellectually creative. His play with Louis Armstrong's quote (would we call that play "troping?") was amusing--although his representation of feminism is wrong. Feminism is not all about gender. Write it on the walls--do what you have to do--just please please realize that feminine absolutely does not equal feminist and feminism is not all about gender. But the activity itself was very amusing... hey, maybe I am unable to gain insight from his playful "Louie Armstrong the Feminist" game because I am too experienced in feminism... hmmm.... interesting....




No comments: